Wednesday 1 April 2015

April Fool!

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed at the lack of good wargames-related April Fools. It's got to the point (not just within the hobby) where you mostly just yawn, sigh a little and move on to the next outrageous piece that couldn't possibly be true. Still amazes me how many gullible people there are out there, though - the one spontaneous April Fool that did tickle me was the idea of Peter Jackson making a movie out of the Appendices to Lord of the Rings, which got some very successful bites out of the more suggestible members of Tolkien group on Facebook (not guilty, I hasten to add :D ).

To be good, an April Fool needs to be borderline believable, preferably topical, utterly deadpan, and really, IMO needs to have a moment somewhere near the end where for most readers the scales fall from their eyes and they have a good chuckle at being nearly got, and then go back and unpick it for the hidden jokes. Too many these days aren't quality humour :D

I take a certain delight, though, in the fact that my one public contribution to the genre (back in 1998 when I was working for CricInfo and the cricket world was trying to get its head around both Shane Warne's many different deliveries and the whole concept of reverse swing) got republished verbatim by several daily papers on the subcontinent, I suspect because the concept of an April Fool spoof wasn't a common thing.

April Fools aside, I've had a very lazy day, apart from successfully scoring both the 2014 Flames of War objective and a spare Flames of War Firefly barrel, both of which I count as productive. Oh, and I'm now caught up on Meeples episodes, barring the two I know are in the can. Neil!!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...